Saturday, September 26, 2009

Safe???

“Aslan a man!” said Mr. Beaver sternly. “Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don’t you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion –the Lion, the great Lion.”
“Ooh!” said Susan, “I’d thought he was a man. Is he – quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.”
“That you will, dearie, and no mistake,” said Mrs. Beaver, “if there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re either braver than most or else just silly.”
“Then he isn’t safe?” said Lucy.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver. “Don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.” – C.S. Lewis The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe


It is before dawn, light still has not sprung from the eastern edges, but day has begun regardless. Maybe it is the mosquito buzzing near my rickety cot, the rooster crowing outside or perhaps I’ve just tangled in the net meant to keep the bugs from spending the night with me, but either way I am awake. It is hard not to be sensitive to the noises of the night in a place so unfamiliar to my habits.
As the sun rises through the muggy morning I find enough water to splash my face and brush my cotton mouth away. I am greeted by the questions of the morning: How did you sleep, how was your night? I am offered some steaming, sweet tea and a few bananas; the day is in full swing. I wander out to see the world and am followed by pastors, community leaders and a man with a gun. For the first time I realize, I have a bodyguard…

I have been traveling around the US for a little over a month now, trying to rest up and get ready for the challenges that await me as I return to Congo for another year. One of the things that has stood out to me as I have visited with friends and family is the number of times I have been asked about my safety or told to “be safe”. While I am extremely grateful for the concern and the sentiments of caring that have been extended to me by many along the way, I feel it is important to point out that as a disciple of Jesus I am not called to “be safe”, I am called to followed him wherever he might lead.
The call of Jesus is a far cry from a call to safety(by the world’s standards). Jesus never said, “Come follow me and I will make your life easy and safe”, instead he said, “Pick up the cross and follow me”. The cross, in my mind, is about the most unsafe place to be. To be clear, I am not saying that as a Christian I am going out looking for danger - that would be lunacy. I am, however, saying that regard for my personal safety is of no consequence when the King calls me to follow him; my life is in His hands. Following Jesus may cost some of us our very lives (and for many it has) but we follow willingly and joyfully, knowing that this world is not our home. Is the journey at times very frightening?? Of course it is!! But that is exactly why we are walking with Jesus in His surety and not down some path of our own choosing. Complacency and a life of “safety” would be the death of an intimate, trusting relationship with the King as He uses us as instruments for the advancement of His kingdom and His glory.
The vocabulary of the Kingdom is not a “be safe” vocabulary, but rather a vocabulary of “be strong in the Lord”, “have courage and hope” and “run the race with perseverance”. When we feel like quitting we need to be reminded of the King and how He left the sure safety of heaven to walk with courage and resolve to the cross for our sake; how He, with compassion, bore our suffering so that one day all this mess of a world we live in can be made new. We need to be reminded that He gave us His Spirit, not so that we could sit back and relax, but so that we could share in His courage and resolve to bring His kingdom on this earth.
If you want to know if my work is safe by the world’s standards the answer is simply no, we live in a world full of heartache and evil. However, I serve a King who is GOOD and that is what matters the most.

17 comments:

Ashley said...

Amen. i love this.

Anonymous said...

ambien 5 ambien cr sleep eating - ambien side effects 2012

Anonymous said...

buy valium online can you buy valium over the counter - what does valium 5mg look like

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online diazepam valium online - diazepam 5mg spc

Anonymous said...

cheap ambien no prescription ambien helps me sleep - ambien side effects of long term use

Anonymous said...

generic zolpidem zolpidem tartrate buy online - purchase ambien online canada

Anonymous said...

ativan anxiety kicking ativan addiction - side effects generic ativan

Anonymous said...

discount xanax xanax pills side effects - xanax withdrawal vomiting

Anonymous said...

generic ativan can an overdose of ativan kill you - lorazepam 1 mg tablet

Anonymous said...

order xanax xanax and alcohol bad - xanax bars with 555

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan vs xanax for flight anxiety - ativan withdrawal in elderly

Anonymous said...

soma carisoprodol buy soma online us pharmacy - can carisoprodol high

Anonymous said...

buy valium online street prices for valium 5mg - valium klonopin conversion

Anonymous said...

soma pharmacy the medication soma - buy soma canada

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online online pharmacy ambien cr - buy brand name ambien online

Anonymous said...

buy valium no prescription needed diazepam valium 5mg - ativan vs valium for anxiety

Anonymous said...

buy soma generic buy soma online canada - side effects of taking carisoprodol